Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Blue Moon

Fruit Roll-Ups® Wicked Witch Hats Courtesy of bettycrocker.com

I toyed with the idea of pursuing voice over for a long time. As a kid I loved commercials. I’d memorize them and record myself on my Strawberry Shortcake Cassette Recorder. A few of my personal faves? Fruit Roll Ups® TV Spots and Zips. Yes, as in the super cool Velcro Shoe's commercials from the 80’s. I knew I was destined to do creative things. When I was 16, I auditioned to sing for a 20-piece big band in the Chicago suburbs where I grew up. I showed up knowing one tune: Blue Moon. To my surprise, I was hired on the spot to be their lead singer. Let’s just say I had many songs to learn. After high school I became a cruise director and singer on a few different cruise ships. It was a great experience, and I learned a lot while seeing the world and meeting so many interesting people. 

As a new bride, my next move was to Las Vegas, where I could sing on the infamous Vegas Strip, but still come home each night. After many late nights and smoky lounges I revisited my childhood dream: voice over. This idea kept popping into my head. But how? I found out about a voice over class, and decided to check it out. You know how they say when you meet 'the one' you just know? Well, after my first class I 'just knew'. Voice over was my true love, aside from my amazing husband of course. So I dug in. I listened. I studied. I read... and read... and read. I was dedicated to developing my skills and my understanding of this unique craft. I did the work, and I couldn't get enough of it. After two years of working with a coach on a weekly basis I cut my demo tape. Yeah, I said tape. My demo was on a cassette, but unfortunately I’d lost Strawberry Shortcake by this point. 

Because this is a blog and not a novel I have get to my point. And my point is, if you’re interested in pursuing voice over work, or opening up a doughnut shop, or anything at all, just take that first step. Check it out. Be true to yourself. What did you want to be when you were a kid? What does your 'inner child' want to be when it grows up right now? I’m really glad I knew the song Blue Moon and that I had people around me who said I could do anything. But mostly I’m really thankful that I have a chance to inspire people to follow their dreams. It does require work, but you owe it to yourself to take that first step. 

P.S. Thanks Mom and Dad for good ole’ Strawberry Shortcake. I was manifesting my dreams and didn't even know it.

1 comment: